Finished up the class auction quilt the other day. As I mentioned before, we used the glue batik technique with the kids. I didn’t get the best photo of this quilt and probably should have done more top quilting in the sashing, but wanted to be done! It looks much better lying flat than hanging as it is here. I used a natural linen and cotton blend for the framing and as you can see, the kids painted the fabric squares with shades of green and blue. It’s backed with Lizzy House’s jewels fabric in aqua, a small-scale print that worked well with the colors, while keeping the front as the main focus. Finished is the key here.
I did give the kids some images of mandalas as inspiration as the project was loosely based on an Indian theme and they practiced their drawings on paper, then transferred them to fabric. You can find a tutorial on That Artist Woman. You should note that when you have the kids paint, you’ll need to make sure you are using felt or quilt batting under the fabric so the paint doesn’t bleed through from the back.